Book reviews contributed by participating librarians throughout the Santiago Library System

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Polo, the Runaway Book, by Regis Faller


Rating: Not Recommended
Roaring Brook Press, 2005, $18.95
ISBN: 159643189X
Grade level: PreK - 2nd
This is a wordless book that just goes on too long. It is from France, and created by an established artist and illustrator, but I found it to be very awkward and difficult to follow. It is about a little dog who gets a book and then it is taken away from him, and he goes from place to place to place to place to try to get it back. I just didn't have the patience to sit and study each picture to try to figure out where the author was taking me. I was bored and felt that it just went too long and wasn't clear. A wordless book has to be compelling to keep the interest of the "reader," and it just didn't catch me.
Reviewer: Ruth Callahan, OCPL - Rancho Santa Margarita